The Safety and Wellbeing of Club Members is our Number One Priority.
We work every day to create a safe, fun, and positive Club environment so Club members can have every opportunity to be successful in life. We have zero-tolerance for inappropriate behavior of any kind, and we invest resources purposefully to support and prevent this kind of behavior.
- MANDATORY BACKGROUND CHECKS: Mandatory criminal background checks are required for every staff and board member of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Bowling Green, and any volunteer who has direct contact with children. These are conducted in advance, as well as each year. They are conducted by a third-party vendor engaged for this purpose, and includes screenings through the child abuse and sex offender registry, as well as county, state, and national criminal records.
- TRAINING/TOOLS: Each year, staff receive training on the requirements of being a Mandated Reporter, how to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to childhood sexual abuse, First Aid/CPR, Supervision of Children, and more. These training elements are provided by leading third-party safety experts to ensure that Club staff are the most up-to-date in all areas of safety.
- EQUIPMENT: The Boys & Girls Clubs of Bowling Green focuses on safety when making resource allocations and decisions regarding equipment and other capital expenditures. This includes being intentional when replacing games and sports equitment, to purchasing AED units and updating First Aid tools.
- FACILITIES: The Club’s facilities have been renovated to maintain clear lines of sight throughout the building, installed cameras throughout the building for security meausres, and to eliminate any blindspots from supervision.
Safety of Children has been a Core Value of Boys and Girls Clubs since 1860
SAFETY COMMITTEE: Boys & Girls Clubs of Bowling Green has a Board-led Safety Committee to provide input and guidance on local policies and safety strategies. Current members include:
MANDATORY ANNUAL SAFETY ASSESSMENTS: Each Club location completes an internal review in a specific online tool, as well as a safety audit by members of the Program & Safety Committee.
- REQUIRED IMMEDIATE REPORTING: Any critical incident must be reported to Boys & Girls Clubs of America with 24 hours.
- MANDATORY EMPLOYEE REFERENCE: Any employee interested in obtaining employment at another Boys & Girls Club, anywhere, is required to have a reference check completed from the previous Club, even if the Clubs are in the same community.